Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Road Trip!

Hello All!

Well the excitement continues...
Not too much as far as work goes. I've been working mostly in the gate lately, which is fine because it leaves me with the energy to go out and do other things. My one world-saving mission and example of Government brilliance happened last week on my patrol day. After I went to each of the campgrounds in my district and collected the fees I was to go to Park Headquarters and pick up five bundles of Park Newspapers/Newsletters. (For those of you who do not know this those newsletters are an essential and vital link that makes Yellowstone work. :) haha jk, but they are helpful) Basically what happen was that we were suppose to have 5 bundles of newspapers waiting for us at the Supply Center. When I got their they told me someone had taken them. So I spent the next two hours of my day hunting down and literally stealing newspapers from other locations in the Park so that our gate would have them. Total excitement!! :) However, like I said my lack of having to do labor intensive work out here has allowed me to get out more. On Wednesday after work I drove to Glacier National Park. It is roughly a 6 or 7 hour drive from my station so I got up there around 10:30pm. My friends Adrien and Addie were kind enough to put me up for the weekend and we had a great time. On Thursday we started by heading out to Many Glacier, and doing a four mile round trip hike (Picture 1) out to the Red Rock Lake and Waterfall. It was a great hike and very beautiful one as well. After we did that we drove up to one of the Visitor Centers they work at on Logan Pass which sits at about 6,646 ft on top of the Continental Divide. From here we hiked five miles round trip out on a trail called the Highline (Picture 2). This was also a great hike because for a good deal of it you are just hiking along the edge of a cliff looking down on the Going-to-the-Sun Road. Which I had fun with because every time one of the Old School Red buses came by with their tops rolled back, I waved at all of the people in the bus. :) I found it entertaining - Adrien said I'm going to be the type of parent who embarrasses the heck out of my kids, which in my experience is what parents are supposed to do. :) Love you guys! It really was a great hike, we picked some huckleberry, which I had never had before, so that was a new experience. There was one occasion where we had to get off the trail because a goat was heading in the opposite direction. Really cute because as soon as the momma passed us the little kid came running down after her. After our hike, I earned my very first Junior Ranger Badge and was sworn in by the Ranger at Logan Pass. I have the badge pinned to my backpack and I wear it to work everyday with pride. After Logan Pass we headed to the West side of the Park and saw the Cedar Forest in the Park (Picture 3). Apparently, it is the furthest cedar forest from the west coast on the continent, something like that. Anyway, I had never seen Cedar trees before so it was cool to see. We spent our evening sampling the local night life, which I'm pretty sure includes one bar called Charlie's Place, great pizza and great beer so really can't go wrong. I left Glacier on Friday and made my way back to Yellowstone. It was really great to get out of the Park for a little while (hadn't done it since June) and the drive there and back was spectacular! That's about it as far as my adventures this week. The wolves have started to move back into the Valley, the bison are all over the place, and it is getting cooler so the bears should be on their way back down to our level as well. So their may be some excitement to come, but basically the season is just about over, we have already had three people leave and three more will leave before the end of the month. Hope everything is well with all of you. If you haven't written me (or even if you have) I'd love to know how everything is going, especially those of you that have returned to school.
Until next time,
Best wishes,
-- Brent Everitt
Visitor Use Assistant
Northeast Entrance Station
Yellowstone National Park

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the blog! Love the pics! I miss the West! :)

    ReplyDelete