Monday, August 24, 2009

Drunk Drivers, Lawyers, Doctors, and Grandparents

Hello All!!
This is the first of many emails that I hope to send out to all of you; my friends, family and co-workers (There are 72 of y'all total). Oh well Google can handle it! This final push to the finish has been a very tough one to say the least, but after everything that has happened it looks like I will still be able to make my western journey finally!
As many of you already know, last Sunday I was on my way home from a Boy Scout trip when a drunk driver blew a stop sign and turned into my lane causing a head-on collision. Of course, my immediate concern was my health but as soon as that passed my mind immediately went to thinking about my trip and how I would not be able to go. However, after a very stressful week, things seem to finally be falling into place. On Tuesday and Wednesday I worked with GEICO and the body shop in Mount Pleasant to begin fixing poor Clifford (my truck). While they have already started the work, he will not be able to go out west with me just yet. Yesterday, I finally received letters from both the Mount Pleasant Police Department confirming the DUI charge as well as State Farm asking ME to contact them. Seeing as I was already ticked off enough and not knowing how I would deal with this whole mess from my soon to be remote Montana residence, I decided to get a lawyer. Today I met with the lawyer who is going to handle just about everything. Although Clifford can be fixed he will obviously not be the same and someone should pay for that, hence where the lawyer comes in to the mix. I also finally got in to see a doctor today to look at my continuous headache. Diagnosis seems to be that the crash has triggered my migraines to start up again (I had migraines in High School).
Finally early this morning, I traveled to Hilton Head to pick up my Grandparent's Chrysler Pacifica which will now be my "home" for a week. Not the flashiest or coolest car in the world but it will more than do the job of transporting me on my Great Adventure. Moving on to the Great Adventure itself, tomorrow is my big packing day! I have washed and packed just about everything. One more trip to Walmart, some triple-checking of lists, and packing the car should complete the process.
I'm starting my adventure in Charleston, around 2pm on Sunday May 31st, from which I will travel to Clemson to pick up my mountain bike. From there I move on to Atlanta where I will be crashing at the Mackenzie residence with my good friends and brothers Colin and Alex. On Monday it's off to Fort Donelson in Tennessee and then to Granite City, IL right outside of St. Louis for my first night of camping. After spending Tuesday in St. Louis seeing the sights, I set my eyes on Kansas City. In Kansas City, I hope to meet up with my friends Jackie, Natalie, and Sara. Not sure how long I will be staying in KC, maybe through Wednesday if there is anything to do. From Kansas City I will travel to Sioux Falls, SD for an evening. Then to Mount Rushmore and Rapid City. Finally, I will make the longest leg of my trip from Rapid City to the Northeast Entrance Station of Yellowstone National Park by the 6th of June (My Birthday!!!). And after all of that I start work on the 7th! As if I'm not doing enough at the last minute, my travel plans are actually working themselves out as I type this email. Even after everything I've had to endure over the past week I couldn't be more excited about seeing the West and starting my new job with the Park Service. It is an awesome beginning to what I hope to be a long career!
If you want to reach me at the Park by mail or phone:
Address:1 Northeast Entrance Station, Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190
Phone:Cell: (843) 906-6228 Residence: (307) 344-2656
Email is the best and quickest most likely but I guarantee paper mail will brighten my spirits if I'm ever home sick!!
Wish me luck,-- Brent Everitt

Visitor Use Assistant

Northeast Entrance Station

Yellowstone National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment