Tuesday, August 25, 2009

North by Northwest...(I'm full of these...)

Hello Friends and Family (which to me is one in the same),

First one to guess the director of the movie reference in the subject line wins a prize! :) Anyway, I'm writing to you tonight from Sioux Falls, South Dakota! Once again hitting new places and seeing cool things. I got up pretty early again this morning and made my way out of Kansas City.
Since I only had only 5 and 1/2 hours of traveling ahead of me and because I have a problem :), I stopped off at the Truman National Historic Site in Independence, Missouri. I started at the visitor center where I met the two volunteers working there. They were very nice and told me everything I needed to know as well as started the video for me. One interesting thing about this encounter was the uniform that the male volunteer was wearing; it was the NPS uniform exactly except he had a Khaki colored shirt, no badge, and a volunteer patch on the left shoulder instead of the arrowhead. This was the first time I have seen a volunteer dressed like that, and based on the number of parks I have visited on the east coast that is saying something.
But I digress. I made my way over to the Truman Home where I met with Ranger Sarah who took me through the first floor of the house and pointed out the surrounding buildings which the NPS owns. The great thing about the Truman Home is that it was left to the People of the United States immediately after the death of Bess Truman in 1982. The NPS has kept everything exactly in the same place it was when the home was turned over to them. There is still a calender from '82 on the wall with the days marked off and the coats are still hanging on the coat rack. Another great thing is that Bess Truman actually took the original White House portrait of her. (Every First Lady has one done just like the President). The one you find in the White House today is actually a copy, the only one in the White House to Sarah's knowledge. I found that pretty cool.
After I finished my tour I decided to get on the road and head north. It is a very simple drive from Kansas City to Sioux Falls, you get on I-29 and go North for a little over 5 hours, passing through Missouri, Iowa, and South Dakota and that's it. I arrived at the KOA here around 5:30pm, set up camp and cooked up some Johnsonville Italian sausages. It has been a easy day today to break up my busy day yesterday and my day tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, I continue west to Rapid City, South Dakota where I hope to see Mount Rushmore!
Thank you again to everyone sending me replies, I'm getting around 10 for every email and I love reading them very much. Some people didn't get my contact information before so I've added it again below. I hope to send pictures as soon as I have an Internet signal. Trust me I have been taking many. Please keep those prayers and good thoughts coming my way, I can really feel the good "karma" if you will.

Your Son, Brother, Cousin, Nephew, and Friend,
-- Brent Everitt
Visitor Use Assistant
Northeast Entrance Station
Yellowstone National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment