Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Welcome to Yellowstone!!

Hey Everyone!!
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to the email but it has been a very busy week. I'm having a great time up here in the high country. I know a lot of you have been asking, so yes, it did snow on my birthday and I was snowed in on that Sunday. So Sunday was a slow day where I didn't do too much until the roads were clear, then I went down to the Valley and saw three black bears! It was pretty cool, one was just a cub following around the mother. On Monday I travelled to Cody, WY for the first time. It is a great little town and I really enjoyed my visit there. On my way back it was snowing again (it has snowed or rained everyday I've been here). No worries though, Sandi (one of the ladies that works here) invited my roommate and me over to join her for some homemade vegetable soup, cornbread, and sweet tea! I really didn't think I would ever find some of that up here but Sandi is a cook from Georgia so the food was amazing! Tuesday was my first day of work and I went on a tour of the entire park on the Superindent's bus with just about all the people from my station and many other volunteers and employees from all over the park. Wednesday was my first day back in the uniform. I did the employee check-in at Headquarters, which was really easy because they pretty much just transferred everything over from Fort Sumter. After that I worked a little in the gate but not too much because I didn't have money or cards yet. Here everyone has a bank of money and passes that they are responsible for, unlike at Fort Moultrie. It is a good system considering the amount of money each of us collect for the park. Thursday, I went to Old Faithful to do some training. This training started at 8:30, which meant that I had to leave my station at 5:30am (it's a big park). On Friday, I started on the regular schedule. I was still in training so I ran the till using someone elses money while they watched and helped me with questions. Finally, yesterday I was able to run my money on my own shift. It was such a great day! I love working with the visitors and being the first Park Service person they encounter coming into the park. Especially being in this station, tons of people stop and take pictures or comment on how much they love our stove. It really makes them feel like they are entering the park just like the people did back in the 30's.
Life in our little village is great. There is a weight room with a treadmill and bike in the basement of the cabin. I played corn-hole with the couple that lives next to Ben and me for a couple of hours the other night. I am settling in really well with my room and kitchen and living area. There is a really comfortable chair in the front room where I can sit and read for hours. I'm currently working on a biography of Grant. Well I'm at work now so I guess I should get back to that... :) (j/k my shift hasn't started yet). Anyway, I hope all is well with all of you, I'll be back in Charleston for the wedding Friday night and I leave Sunday morning. 20 hours in the air, 36 in Charleston.
Until next time,

Yours Truly,
-- Brent Everitt
Visitor Use Assistant
Northeast Entrance Station
Yellowstone National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment